Thursday, December 17, 2015

Put Some Breastmilk on it! (Seriously!)



I know, maybe that sounds crazy, or gross, but I swear I have that thought so often when I hear mamas complaining about certain things their children (or even they themselves!) are struggling with. Breastmilk has antibacterial properties, (link to sciencey stuff here)  so it's useful for lots of everyday owies! Like what, you ask?
Well... 
-minor cuts and scrapes- I used some on Baby Duck when his cord stump was bleeding, and it healed right up, and I've used it on cuts and scrapes of my own and on Ladybug too! 

- yeast rashes- Ladybug had a nasty nasty yeast rash on her bum on her first birthday,and after trying so many things over the next week and a half, I finally put some milk on it, and it cleared right up in a few days. 

-nasal congestion- this one I discovered when Ladybug was a few months old. I'd heard that milk was better than saline for this, so I gave it a shot. It worked great when Baby Duck had his first stuffy nose too, just a couple drops in each nostril, and it was much easier to use the Nosefrida (buy here) to clear him out. 

-ear infections: now, I don't have personal experience with this one, (my kids have never had an ear infection, maybe because breastfed babies don't get as many?)  but I've read many times that a few drops in the ear can really help heal an ear infection. Maybe not all are this easily solved, but in this age where antibiotics are so overused, I think I'd give it a try before heading to the doctor! 

-pinkeye: another I've read about but never used- a few drops in each eye is supposed to help! 


Those are some uses for your milk you may not have expected-do you know any others? Please share in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment